Welcome to the Mayor's Blog Page!

City of Meridian Blogs

All About Temporary Use Permits

 Permanent link

Temporary uses are regulated in the City of Meridian for the purpose of protecting the health, safety and welfare of Meridian residents while also encouraging those uses that complement permanent City of Meridian businesses.  The City wishes to have safe, attractive and desirable temporary uses that add variety to the shopping and/or dining opportunities in Meridian and that also support and facilitate community events and celebrations.  Below are a few commonly asked questions regarding outdoor sales and temporary uses:

Q: What do I need to do in order to close the street for my temporary use?

A: If you wish to close a street or sidewalk, affect traffic flow, or create a greater-than-usual demand on City services, you will want to obtain a Citizen’s Use Permit.  This permit assists the highway district and the Police and Fire Departments a chance to review your plans to ensure the safety of our public.

Q: I am planning a big family reunion in my backyard.  Do I need a permit?

A: A private party on land that is not open to the general public generally does not require a Temporary Use Permit.  But if the use will affect traffic flow or require the provision of City services over and above that which is normally provided, you will want to obtain a Citizen’s Use Permit.

Q: My event will occur entirely in a park.  Do I still need a Temporary Use Permit, or can I just get approval from the Parks & Recreation Department?

A: Our City Code says that all persons wishing to have a temporary use, even in a park, need to obtain a general Temporary Use Permit (TUP) from the Clerk’s Office.  The Clerk’s Office will route your TUP application to the Parks & Recreation Department for review and approval – but please note that this process may not ensure availability of a park shelter or facility.  To reserve a shelter or facility for your event, please call the Parks & Recreation Department at (208) 888-3579.

The City Clerk’s office is continually looking for ways that we can improve and streamline our application process.  If you are considering holding a special event or having a temporary sales unit, please call our offices at 888-4433 and we will be happy to help you through the application process.